Queens Speech: The Climate Group calls on Government to detail funding for new green measures
The announcement in today’s Queen’s Speech of the establishment of the Green Investment Bank and the Electricity Market Reform Bill was hailed as an important, albeit belated, step towards steering Britain to a low-carbon future by Mark Kenber, CEO of The Climate Group.
However he added that the measures should be clearly understood to be an important investment in Britain’s economy, and called on the Government to clarify its plans to fund the measures.
“This is a positive step after two years of lack of direction on the environment and the low carbon economy – but we need more details on the government’s funding commitments.
“The world's low-carbon energy market is expected to triple to almost £1.4 trillion by 2020. There is a window of opportunity here and now for Britain. We cannot afford any more delays in kick-starting the much-vaunted green investment programme without running the danger of leaving the UK lagging further behind in the global market place.
“Today’s announcements represents a potentially important investment in Britain’s future, and also the global economy. However it cannot be a half-hearted effort. It needs to be backed with real money if we are to take full advantage of the benefits of a clean economy in terms of new jobs and enhanced energy security.
“The Coalition faces a critical choice: be a premier nation in the new global economy, or face relegation to second tier status. Today’s Queen’s Speech is a step in the right direction. However the success of these measures will be dictated by the degree to which the government is prepared to invest in them.
“The Government needs to provide clear leadership on the low carbon economy. This is the only way to attract investment, spur economic growth, create more jobs and lower energy bills."
For further information contact:
The Climate Group
Nicholas Mandalas / Melanie Bradley
Tel: +44 (0)20 7960 2715
- Geothermal industry leads the way towards a more sustainable 2012
- Riverbank Power and enXco, an EDF Energies Nouvelles Company, enter Joint Venture
- SMA Releases Online Version of Sunny Design for PV System Configuration
- SMA Prepares for another Year of Regional Forums, Releases 2013 Dates
- BC Bioenergy Network Invests $1.5 M in Fraser richmond Soil and fibre “Energy Garden”
- New UK Tariff Proposals Will Not Halt Energy Price Rises says Gaia-Wind
- Brightsource Energy's Power Tower Technology Selected by Sasol for South African Solar Power Plant Design
- New research centre to support the UK’s booming offshore wind industry
- US Army Receives USD$7 Billion For Renewable Energy Projects
- Geothermal Energy Association report and Riverbank's joint venture with enXco tops charts, with SMA America featuring twice