RenewableUK welcomes announcement of first Marine Energy Park
UK leads the world in Wave & Tidal energy .
· South West England to harbour unique partnership of Government, industry and experts to increase pace of marine energy deployment
· “Fantastic potential” of Wave & Tidal power which could produce up to 27 gigawatts of electricity by 2050
· UK leads the world in Wave & Tidal energy –first Marine Energy Park will help maintain that global pre-eminence
RenewableUK, the trade association for the wind, wave & tidal industry, has welcomed the announcement by Climate Change Minister Greg Barker of the UK’s first Marine Energy Park (MEP).
Covering an area stretching from Bristol to Cornwall as far as the Isles of Scilly, the MEP will be a partnership between local and national Government, Local Enterprise Partnerships, the Universities of Plymouth and Exeter, and the wave & tidal industry – including the Wave Hub testing facility off the coast of Cornwall.
RenewableUK’s Wave & Tidal Development Manager, David Krohn, said: “Marine energy has fantastic potential, not just as a clean power source, but as a boost to our economy too. Our research has shown that a properly supported marine sector could generate up to 15,000 jobs by 2021 and have a value to the UK of over £3.7 billion.
“The UK currently leads the world in wave & tidal development, and we have world-beating resources. We need to capitalise on this opportunity now, and the first Marine Energy Park represents an important first step in this process.”
- Geothermal industry leads the way towards a more sustainable 2012
- Riverbank Power and enXco, an EDF Energies Nouvelles Company, enter Joint Venture
- Blogs & Opinion: Global Energy Group accuse Government of fudging green energy commitment
- Could Scotland become a global wave and tidal energy leader?
- RenewableUK welcomes announcement of first Marine Energy Park
- New UK Tariff Proposals Will Not Halt Energy Price Rises says Gaia-Wind
- Brightsource Energy's Power Tower Technology Selected by Sasol for South African Solar Power Plant Design
- New research centre to support the UK’s booming offshore wind industry
- US Army Receives USD$7 Billion For Renewable Energy Projects
- Geothermal Energy Association report and Riverbank's joint venture with enXco tops charts, with SMA America featuring twice