Geothermal energy to mining sites in Latin America
Geotermia Andina is working in partnership with Barrick on geothermal developments, which support their renewable energy strategy.
Los Despoblados is located just 10kms from Barrick’s Veladero operating mine, with a current energy demand of 14MW.
Geotermia Andina SA is pleased to announce it has signed a Letter of Intent with Barrick Gold Corporation, for the development of the Los Despoblados geothermal project in San Juan, Argentina. Geotermia Andina is working in partnership with Barrick on geothermal developments, which support their renewable energy strategy. Los Despoblados is located just 10kms from Barrick’s Veladero operating mine, with a current energy demand of 14MW.
In the agreement, Barrick will be entitled to earn a 70% interest in the project by funding the drill campaign. The scope of the campaign includes up to 8 thermal gradient drills to a depth 250m each. Based on this program, it is expect that 3 deep exploratory drills to 1500m each will commence in Q2 2013. Completion of Feasibility is expected for Q3 2013, at which time it is expect that long lead items, including the plant, can be specified and ordered.
Dr Giorgio Stangalino, CEO of Geotermia Andina said; "This represents a significant step forward for our geothermal portfolio in Argentina. We had originally identified Barrick as the off-taker of the energy for the project and we are now very pleased to be making this next step together with Barrick as our strategic partner.” A formal Joint Venture agreement, which includes the participation of EPSE (the utility company of San Juan Province) and which allows for the provision of a Purchase Power Agreement, is due to be announced next month.
- Blogs & Opinion: Global Energy Group accuse Government of fudging green energy commitment
- Geothermal industry leads the way towards a more sustainable 2012
- Riverbank Power and enXco, an EDF Energies Nouvelles Company, enter Joint Venture
- Could Scotland become a global wave and tidal energy leader?
- New Renewables Directory Sets Record
- New UK Tariff Proposals Will Not Halt Energy Price Rises says Gaia-Wind
- Brightsource Energy's Power Tower Technology Selected by Sasol for South African Solar Power Plant Design
- New research centre to support the UK’s booming offshore wind industry
- US Army Receives USD$7 Billion For Renewable Energy Projects
- Geothermal Energy Association report and Riverbank's joint venture with enXco tops charts, with SMA America featuring twice