Light-Duty Natural Gas Vehicles on Roads Worldwide Will Reach Nearly 40 Million by 2023
Market will more than double in the next 10 years, report concludes.
February 24, 2014
Increasing supplies of low-cost, readily available natural gas, along with expanding refueling infrastructure and increasingly strict vehicle emission requirements, are driving strong growth in the market for light duty natural gas vehicles (NGVs). This growth is occurring in countries where a robust market for NGVs already exists, such as India, China, Thailand, and Brazil, and in countries where NGVs are a relatively small niche, such as the United States and Germany. Click to tweet: According to a new report fromNavigant Research, the total number of light-duty NGVs on roads worldwide will grow from 17.5 million in 2013 to 39.8 million in 2023.
“A number of major automakers are refocusing their efforts in the NGV market, particularly in regions where interest in these vehicles is strong,” says Dave Hurst, principal research analyst with Navigant Research. “Overall, the number of NGVs on the world’s roadways will roughly double by 2023, at which time NGVs will account for 2.6 percent of all vehicles on the roads.”
The market for light-duty NGVs is not homogenous around the world or even within regions, according to the report. In North America, the market is heavily focused on fleet purchasers, while in parts of Western Europe, Latin America, and Asia Pacific, the consumer market plays a much bigger role. Whether a particular market is focused on fleets or private consumers has a significant impact on the NGVs available. In North America, the fleet market for NGVs remains relatively small, so automakers are content to rely on vehicle conversions by companies that complete the conversion prior to customer delivery.
The report, “Light Duty Natural Gas Vehicles”, analyzes the global market for natural gas passenger cars and light duty trucks, including pickup trucks, SUVs, minivans, and vans. It provides an analysis of the market issues and drivers associated with light-duty NGVs, including refueling availability, gas storage cylinders, total cost of ownership, vehicle availability, and government influence. Global market forecasts for vehicle sales, vehicles on the road, and fuel used, broken out by region, segment, and drivetrain, extend through 2023. The report also examines the key technologies related to natural gas storage on vehicles, as well as the major players within the market. An Executive
Summary of the report is available for free download on the Navigant Research website.
Latest Renewables Jobs
- Blogs & Opinion: Global Energy Group accuse Government of fudging green energy commitment
- Geothermal industry leads the way towards a more sustainable 2012
- Riverbank Power and enXco, an EDF Energies Nouvelles Company, enter Joint Venture
- Could Scotland become a global wave and tidal energy leader?
- New Renewables Directory Sets Record
- New UK Tariff Proposals Will Not Halt Energy Price Rises says Gaia-Wind
- Brightsource Energy's Power Tower Technology Selected by Sasol for South African Solar Power Plant Design
- New research centre to support the UK’s booming offshore wind industry
- US Army Receives USD$7 Billion For Renewable Energy Projects
- Geothermal Energy Association report and Riverbank's joint venture with enXco tops charts, with SMA America featuring twice
Poll: US Solar Development
How important do you think it is for the U.S. to develop and use solar power?