Bond Dickinson advises on first ever renewable project in Oman
Lawyers at national firm Bond Dickinson have advised the Authority for Electricity Regulation, Oman on the procurement of the first renewable energy project in the Gulf state of Oman.
The project, a 303 kilowatt solar PV project, will supplement diesel generating capacity and will deliver green electricity to Al Mazyunah, a town in the Dhofar governate in the west of the country close to the border with Yemen. Bond Dickinson's Senior Associate Ed Rimmell worked with the team at the Authority to develop a structure for the development and operation of renewable energy projects which will be used by the Rural Areas Electricity Company (the network operator and electricity supplier which serves remote areas of Oman) on this and future projects. Ed, assisted by Associate Jennifer Stott, then advised on the implementation of that structure for the project at Al Mazyunah.
Ed Rimmell comments: "Having advised on the first renewable energy project in the UK more than two decades ago, we are delighted to have now been able to work on the first renewable energy project in Oman. This project is of real strategic importance for the development of renewable energy in Oman. The team at the Authority has worked very hard to ensure that before embarking on the development of renewable energy projects there is a robust structure, supported by sound technical and financial analysis, to ensure that the Al Mazyunah project and others that follow it will be a success, and it is great to see their hard work now paying off."
John Cunneen, Executive Director of the Authority for Electricity Regulation, Oman, comments: "Members of the Authority are delighted the Al Mazyunah project is proceeding and will pave the way for further renewable energy projects. The Authority is committed to advancing the economic and efficient deployment of renewable energy in Oman and believes renewable energy can and will make an important contribution to the future energy security and economic development of the Sultanate. I would like to thank the Bond Dickinson team for their help in seeing the project through to its completion."
About Bond Dickinson
Bond Dickinson LLP is a leading commercial law firm providing regulatory, corporate, commercial, real estate and dispute resolution services to some of the UK’s pre-eminent corporate and public sector organisations. We are recognised nationally particularly for our work in the energy, transport, real estate and retail sectors. The firm also provides highly rated wealth management services to help maximise and grow the wealth of high net worth individuals.
- Geothermal industry leads the way towards a more sustainable 2012
- Blogs & Opinion: Global Energy Group accuse Government of fudging green energy commitment
- Riverbank Power and enXco, an EDF Energies Nouvelles Company, enter Joint Venture
- Could Scotland become a global wave and tidal energy leader?
- RenewableUK welcomes announcement of first Marine Energy Park
- New UK Tariff Proposals Will Not Halt Energy Price Rises says Gaia-Wind
- Brightsource Energy's Power Tower Technology Selected by Sasol for South African Solar Power Plant Design
- New research centre to support the UK’s booming offshore wind industry
- US Army Receives USD$7 Billion For Renewable Energy Projects
- Geothermal Energy Association report and Riverbank's joint venture with enXco tops charts, with SMA America featuring twice